Run by

The LEAD Group Inc
The Lead Education and Abatement Design Group
Working to eliminate lead poisoning globally and to protect the
environment from lead in all its uses: past, current and new uses
ABN 25 819 463 114
Australians! Take action
today. Is lead harming
you & your kids? Buy low
cost, NATA accredited
laboratory lead test kits
here. Sample your dust,
soil, water, paint, toys,
jewellery, ceramics
what's new 

Water Lead test Kits

Proceeds from our DIY Home Lead Assessment kit sales go towards the
Keeping Australian Lead Out of Leaded Petrol Initiative.

Search this site
Search tips 
What's New

About Us
bell system lead poisoning
Contact Us
Council Lead Project
Library-Fact Sheets
Home Page
Media Releases
Referral Lists
Site Map
Slide Shows-Films
Useful Links

Visitor Number

  QUESTION: Licensing & lead-training accreditation for industrial painters, 10 May 2006, NSW Australia

Hi there, I've been an industrial painter for over 10 years fully experienced from zinc to epoxy, and now I'm currently sole trader doing sand blasting and painting, I want to get a license or formal training to have a certificate how can I do that would you be able to guide me step by step it will be much appreciated for your help thanks
NSWER: 01 Aug 2006

Dear Byron,

sincere apologies for the long delay in replying to you but our volunteers are overwhelmed with the volume of enquiries we receive.

It is my understanding that if you were a residential painter you would need to go to the NSW Department of Fair Trading (DOFT) for a painters licence. So after confirming this with DOFT, I asked NSW WorkCover Authority if they licence industrial painters but they don't so they recommended I phone 1300 360 992 to ask whether the TRA - Trades Recognition Australia, DEWR (Department of Employment and Workplace Relations) recognise your particular trade qualifications and TRA don't, you should contact  TAFE NSW,  Australia’s leading provider of vocational education and training:

Tel: 131 601

In regard to training programs for industrial painters, the only accreditation system that I know of is part of the APAS (Australian Paint Approval Scheme) and it is called PCCP (Painting Contractors Certification Program). PCCP certifies industrial / commercial paint removal classes 1- 5. Class 5 is Hazardous Paints including leaded paints. Only companies (painting contracting firms) can be accredited, and PCCP keeps a register of companies so accredited. It is however a requirement for Class 5 accreditation (hazardous paint removal) that the firm employs at least one person who has completed an endorsed course in Lead Paint Management, and that a person who has completed this course (and who has other appropriate skills and experience) is appointed as responsible person for each project involving removal of hazardous paint. As at Feb 2001, the only course so endorsed is CTI's, and CTI have presented their course many times since August 1998.

You can contact PCCP on tel (03) 9248 4902 or by email to Gerry Eccleston

I hope this answers your query. I'd be interested to know how you go with the VTU.
Yours Sincerely
Elizabeth O'Brien

About Us | bell system lead poisoning | Contact Us | Council LEAD Project | egroups | Library - Fact Sheets | Home Page | Media Releases
| Q & A | Referral lists | Reports | Site Map | Slide Shows - Films | Subscription | Useful Links |  Search this Site
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Last Updated 11 September 2012
Copyright © The LEAD Group Inc. 1991- 2012
PO Box 161 Summer Hill NSW 2130 Australia
Phone: +61 2 9716 0014