QUESTION: Lead contamination in dogs from eating graphite pencils,18 Oct 2005, USA
My dog (4 pounds) chewed up a pencil, Can he get lead poisoning?
ANSWER: 18 Oct 2005
My answer toward your concern about your dog would be to take it to the vet and get it to have blood lead test. Every source of information we've ever read says there is no lead in graphite pencils EXCEPT that " Fifty-Fifth Report of The Commission of Public Health for THE Year Ended 30th June, 1997 [EXTRACT]" by Victorian Commission of Public Health states that one graphite pencil tested had 1.6% lead in the graphite.
PS the paint on the pencil can also contain lead
system lead poisoning |
LEAD Project | egroups | Library
- Fact Sheets | Home
Page | Media Releases
Newsletters | Q & A | Referral lists | Reports | Site Map | Slide Shows - Films | Subscription | Useful Links | Search this Site
Updated 14 June 2012
Copyright © The LEAD Group Inc. 1991- 2012
PO Box 161 Summer Hill NSW 2130 Australia
Phone: +61 2 9716 0014