Run by

The LEAD Group Inc
The Lead Education and Abatement Design Group
Working to eliminate lead poisoning globally and to protect the
environment from lead in all its uses: past, current and new uses
ABN 25 819 463 114
Australians! Take action
today. Is lead harming
you & your kids? Buy low
cost, NATA accredited
laboratory lead test kits
here. Sample your dust,
soil, water, paint, toys,
jewellery, ceramics
what's new 

Water Lead test Kits

Proceeds from our DIY Home Lead Assessment kit sales go towards the
Keeping Australian Lead Out of Leaded Petrol Initiative.

Search this site
Search tips 
What's New

About Us
bell system lead poisoning
Contact Us
Council Lead Project
Library-Fact Sheets
Home Page
Media Releases
Referral Lists
Site Map
Slide Shows-Films
Useful Links

Visitor Number

  QUESTION: Doctors who carry out chelation therapy for lead poisoning. 28 Jun 2004, New South Wales Australia

My brother aged 47 has been diagnosed as having lead poisoning. I would very much appreciate being able to pass on to him the names of preferably Sydney or Central Coast hospitals which offer chelation therapy for adults. Many thanks.

ANSWER: 05 Jul 2004

Dear Esther,

Your search needs to be focussed on a doctor who can carry out chelation therapy rather than a hospital. If your brother's blood lead level is very high (over 70 micrograms per decilitre, which is written as 70 g/dL) and he has symptoms of lead poisoning then any hospital emergency department will organise chelation therapy even if they have to seek advice from one of the toxicologists who are on-call by phone from anywhere in Australia 24 hours a day. If the blood lead level is lower or the lead poisoning has been determined by urine lead level or urine chelation challenge testing or hair lead analysis, then you need to find a doctor who will carry out chelation treatment on that basis.

You can phone ACNEM (Australasian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine) on 0395896088 or email them at mail[at] or seek a chelating doctor in your area from Practitioner Listing Good luck and I would be very interested to know the outcome of your search. It is of course vital to determine the source/s of the lead poisoning so that the source/s can be eradicated. If the blood lead level is over 15 g/dL in NSW then the Public Health Unit (PHU) can carry out a lead assessment of your brother's home (especially if his doctor requests them to do so - ph NSW Health Dept switch on 93919000 and ask for the appropriate PHU) but if the lead poisoning occurred at work, a hazard assessment of the workplace or work practices and a hazard management plan is required.

Feel free to write again or phone 1800 626 086 for more specific case management advice.

Yours Sincerely Elizabeth O'Brien

About Us | bell system lead poisoning | Contact Us | Council LEAD Project | egroups | Library - Fact Sheets | Home Page | Media Releases
| Q & A | Referral lists | Reports | Site Map | Slide Shows - Films | Subscription | Useful Links |  Search this Site
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Last Updated 21 May 2012
Copyright The LEAD Group Inc. 1991- 2012
PO Box 161 Summer Hill NSW 2130 Australia
Phone: +61 2 9716 0014