LEAD Action News

LEAD Action News Volume 7 No 4, 2000, ISSN 1324-6011
Incorporating Lead Aware Times ( ISSN 1440-4966) and Lead Advisory Service News ( ISSN 1440-0561)
The journal of The LEAD (Lead Education and Abatement Design) Group Inc.

About Us
bell system lead poisoning
Contact Us
Council Lead Project
Library-Fact Sheets
Home Page
Media Releases
Referral Lists
Site Map
Slide Shows-Films
Useful Links

Visitor Number



N Z Warning - Candles that poison

Tuesday Feb 29 2000

 The [New Zealand] Ministry of Consumer Affairs warned consumers and traders to immediately destroy candles with metallic cores in their wick. Australian tests show that the candles can cause lead poisoning, emitting 500 to 1000 micrograms of lead per hour into the air when burned.

The Ministry also urges consumers to inform them of existing candles and where they are being sold. "If we find that their sale is widespread we will be looking at having them banned," says the Ministry’s Trading Standards Service Manager, Tony Leverton. The Ministry’s local offices are listed in the phone book.

"People should look out for a silvery or dark metallic core in the fabric of the wick, or silvery droplets at the wick tip or in the melted wax when the candle is lit," said Mr Leverton.

"We are particularly concerned about these candles being burned around children, who are more susceptible to lead poisoning because of their size and developing bodies," said Mr Leverton. "Lead is absorbed into the body faster from inhalation than from ingestion — for example, a child putting a lead-based object in their mouth."

So far the Ministry has identified one shop in New Zealand selling these types of candles. "However, we know in Australia the candles have been found in discount stores or homeware shops, and were made in China or Taiwan," said Mr Leverton.

Ed note: the above article was taken from the Homeowners Soot Damage Discussion Board (see disc.server.com/Indices/41692.html [website no longer active] listing below) and marks a growing number of countries concerned about the lead core wick candle problem.

Homeowners Soot Damage Discussion Board - This is a resource for homeowners & professionals who have encountered the problem of candle soot damage...what to do, who to contact, etc. Many, many links & contacts available here. The reports of sooting in homes from candle use have been steadily increasing over the last few years. This message board is for the discussion of problems associated with candle soot deposition in homes. Exchange of mitigation or clean up techniques, insurance advice, health concerns, identification of brands & types of candles is encouraged.

Contents | Previous Item | Next Item

About Us | bell system lead poisoning | Contact Us | Council LEAD Project | egroups | Library - Fact Sheets | Home Page | Media Releases
| Q & A | Referral lists | Reports | Site Map | Slide Shows - Films | Subscription | Useful LinksSearch this Site

Last Updated 20 November 2013
Copyright The LEAD Group Inc. 1991 - 2013
PO Box 161 Summer Hill NSW 2130 Australia
Phone: +61 2 9716 0014